I used the Vallejo Game Colors, except the washes which were GW washes, but I'll run with the GW names mostly because I'm more familiar with them and I don't have the paint in front of me at the moment. I started by painting the skin with Goblin Green.
|Step 1: Goblin Green|
I broke the group down into three subgroups at this point to test out different approaches. I did the blue while the various washes I used were drying. The first group got a Devlan Mud wash on the skin.
|Step 2a: Devlan Mud wash|
|Step 2b: Thrakka Green|
|Step 2c: Chalk Wash|
|Step 2: Washes and blue|
After the washes had dried, I went back with the Goblin Green to highlight. I fully intended to give each model a quick and dirty drybrushing, but I have a shameful hobby confession to make: I'm a horrible drybrusher. I think I may be too impatient with it, or it may be the way I load my brush, but in any case drybrushing never works like it should for me. It's something I try to improve, but I always end up with what I think of as wetbrushing, but is more generally called overbrushing. Whatever you call it, I usually go with a drybrushing-like technique with a regularly loaded brush which hammers the high spots, but also tends to wash out some details in the process, especially fingers in this case.
As I went along through the boyz in this manner, I took a second to think about time spent and the results I was getting. I'm trying to find a method that looks decent, but more importantly paints quickly. It felt like I spent a long time fumbling my way through drybrushing the first one, and I ended up just painting on highlights at the end anyway, so somewhere in the process I gave up the drybrushing and just went with painting highlights directly. It took longer than I'd like, but the results were decent enough and it wasn't a monstrous time sink. I went in the same order I started with, so the Devlan Mud boyz were up first.
|Step 3a: Mud highlighted|
|Step 3b: Thrakka Green highlighted|
|Step 3c: Chalk wash highlighted|
|Step 3: Highlighting|
When I had highlighted the blue, I looked over the boyz again and decided I wanted more contrast between the shading, highlighting, and base color. I mixed some Sunburst Yellow into the Goblin Green and went back to town highlighting. This turned out pretty well, the chalk washed boy in particular. I don't have any pictures of this step because I quickly decided that I wanted still more contrast, and that the chalk washed boy was actually a bit too bright for my tastes, so I went back and washed Devlan Mud over one of each pair again. These pictures look to be the worst yet.
|Devlan Mud boyz|
|Thrakka Green boyz|
|Chalk wash boy|
I have a group shot of the final products, but it's probably the worst yet so I'm not putting it up. On reflection this took entirely too long to finish one color and start another. I spent around 2 hours painting, while also watching hockey highlights on NHL on the Fly. If I got the boyz 1/3 done, which seems like a decent estimate, and it took me 2 hours to do 5, then I'm looking at 6 hours for 5 boyz painted to completion. For a horde army that will crest 100 minis easily, that's way too much time. In the next round I plan on "trying out" my usual approach of starting with the shading color, then painting the base over it, then highlighting, then washing. I don't know that it will go any quicker, and practicing drybrushing is almost certainly a better use of my time, but experimentation is the name of the game here. However the results turn out, I'm making progress, so at least there's that.