Weather and schedule combined to allow for some spraying this afternoon, so I jumped on the chance. I tried out the Dullcoat and Duplicolor for the first time a few minutes ago. Here are some initial impressions.
The Dullcoat already looks better than the matte varnish I had. It seems dry right now, but I'll wait until tonight or tomorrow for a final verdict. As is though, thumbs up.
The Duplicolor is going to take more time. I had a hard time getting it to fill in some deeper recesses. There was a bit of a breeze, but nothing excessive. Even when it was still, the spray seemed reluctant to get into the crevices. It wasn't as dark as I had expected, which is good. I'd been worried about a big contrast between the previous grey primer and this one, but they aren't too different. I'll still take a picture or two, but it won't be as noticeable as I had thought. I used a couple coats, in keeping with what I'd read about it. I also heard it covered without obscuring detail which, combined with the trouble getting into the nooks, meant I used a heavier coat than I would have otherwise. With ~10 minutes of drying time, details look great and nothing has been obscured. Like the Dullcoat I'll reserve judgement until later tonight. I'm less enthusiastic about the Duplicolor than the Dullcoat, but I'm curious to see how it does on a fresh, unprimed model. Of course I don't have any of those at the moment, because I've been a good hobbyist and have assembled and primed all the bits I have. Guess I'll have to get some more. For science, of course.