|Behold my mighty works and despair!|
Friday, January 31, 2014
Monday, January 27, 2014
|The end of session one.|
I've talked a couple times about how I want to push my limits a bit with this new project. Some chances have already fallen short, notably jack construction, while others have yet to be given the chance to be pushed aside. Of particular note for this post is painting approach. I'm trying out a few things: following a studio scheme (more or less), painting with a reference, and trying out the PP style of shading and highlighting. Basics remain unchanged, so my first session was still blocking in colors and applying a wash (even if the wash didn't go down until session two).
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
|Old shot, now they're primed.|
That whole tournament thing I was going on about? Didn't happen for me. Illness stepped in and said "No, you will not be playing games this weekend." Fortunately I was still able to make good use of my time by assembling a unit of Errants and a Vigilant. The Vigiliant went together quick and easy. The Errants, not so much. Each model was at least 8 pieces, not counting the base, which takes some time even in plastic. The metal models must have been a nightmare, one I'll get a taste of when I do the UA and solo. Now I have a reasonable collection assembled and the biggest remaining hurdles from my initial batch are the TFG and Cinerators. Everything else is single models or small groups. Granted some of those are Wracks, which look frustrating, and most are metal, but it's easier to get an Errant solo and UA together than those plus the unit.
All this force congealing is coming at a good time, more or less as planned, because there's now a lot of Journeyman chatter going on the local email group. The plan all along has been to gather Menites, assemble and prime them, then initiate a painting orgy when the league starts. While I'm on the hook to paint a couple before the league starts (thanks in large part to local Ron's attempt to reboot Paint the Target) I'll still be in a good place.
Thursday, January 9, 2014
|Who leaves a triangle out where someone can trip on it?|
As the night was wrapping up I heard that the Game Vault tournament I've been getting ready for was full, which was unfortunate as I hadn't claimed a spot since I wanted to make sure I had enough Menoth together to make a 35 point list. There may also have been a bit of procrastination involved. Regardless of who made what mistakes based on which shortcomings, I figured it wasn't meant to be. Then I got a highlighted email today pointing out that someone had already signed me up, so the trip is back on. I'm a little concerned about running into poor match-ups while bringing just one list, but this trip will be more about getting some reps in with a new faction and seeing if Game Vault has some of the bits I'm still looking for on the shelf. Of course there's also a little place called Sonic, but that's a bonus.
Monday, January 6, 2014
|The fruits of my labors.|
Friday, January 3, 2014
|From last night. Not exactly frightful, but nice anyway.|
Thursday, January 2, 2014
Turning to the completed construction, the jack support is ready to go with the Choir and a pair of Vassals waiting for primer. The Choir was more of a pain than anticipated. The tabs and robes were all one big piece, so clipping and filing took a while. Pinning was a pain as well, but for the Vassals I tried swapping my standard paper clips for the (relatively) new piano wire with pleasant results. The drilling went much faster, with less worries about potentially drilling through a leg or ankle. I didn't try bending the piano wire and greenstuffing it to the base like I do with the paper clips. We'll see if this causes problems down the road, but the Vassals felt plenty secure even without dry glue. As a bonus I did a bit of greenstuff on Kreoss' base to blend him in with the rest.