Despite the lack of updates I've made good progress over the past few days. My first block of troops is done (except for basing and varnish), which gives me a nice visual treat to look at. The unit came together quickly thanks to the reasons I mentioned last time, but also because of the approach I took to painting them. My usual approach is to take a model or group from start to finish before taking up another set. There's a natural pause in my painting when I (very generously) wash the whole model, which takes a while to dry. Ideally I'll let the wash dry overnight, but often I take a short break instead so I can push on to the finish line. This time I decided to embrace the overnight drying time by adding a second group of models. When I sat down to finish off the first group of six after their wash, I also base coated another group of seven since I already had the colors out on my palette. When I finished the first six I had also finished base coating the second seven, which I then washed and left to dry overnight. The process repeated with another new group of seven with a final result of twenty newly (re)painted Halberdiers, which is the size I've tabbed for detachments. Whether these brave mans of the Empire are complete as a detachment for a larger regiment or are the core of a central block of Halberdiers is still under debate. Said debate is largely pointless as they can be both, if not at the same time, and I have plenty more bodies waiting to be assembled to fill out the ranks. There's another three on the painting table now, along with a bannerman, and I put together four more a few days ago. The three plus banner didn't make it to the wash stage because I wanted to take some extra time with the banner, but also because my brush was suffering from the extending painting time. If I want to keep this new version of the assembly line I'll either need to rinse my brush, and re-thin my paints, more often or work on smaller groups. If I stuck to a more standard group of ten I could have five being finished and another five being started, with less brush abuse and more room on the painting table. Turns out working on fourteen models at once (on pill bottle lids) takes up a lot of real estate. I'm thinking about rolling into Spearmen after I finish the straggling Halberdiers, though I may take up a cannon instead to break up the long line of infantry. There's also the bits that didn't quite get finished for the Journeyman league that I should get done.