Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Paper progress provides photographing potential

First things first, just noticed Blogger has a spell checker. Not that I think I've made any glaring errors, being a writer and all, but it's good to have a safety net.

Having made some good progress on my papers, I took a minute to give photographing another shot. This time I thought I'd try zooming in while in macro mode and behold, success! These are poor quality, but I hope they'll get better with time. The camera battery ran out after these two shots, so this is all I have to work with at the moment, but now that I've figured out how to get the camera to focus on miniatures there will be more forthcoming.

Both these models are works in progress, so they look somewhat fugly. Then again I'm not a great painter, so they'll look fugly when they're done too. Only way to get better is practice, right?

First up is pSorscha:

Mostly she's just basecoated, though I've started blocking in the red for an attempt at blending. The hat and cloak trim are drybrushed up and more or less done. The blocking is more apparent from behind, but with the camera battery recharging just now rear shots will have to wait. I've attempted some scenic base sculpting with green stuff here. It didn't turn out quite like I hoped it would, but it's a start. I feel kinda bad experimenting on something like a caster, but you have to start somewhere. Plus I have another pSorscha model, the variant where she's swinging her hammer, so I'll have something to fall back on.

Next is the Manhuntress:

This is a really bad shot, but gives some sense of what I'm doing. The camera had a hard time focusing properly, so you take what you can get. Like Sorscha, she is mostly basecoated but has more finished areas thanks to all the fur. I think I'm going to make her a blond, though that may make the head too light with blond hair, pale skin and a light grey hat. We'll see how it works out.

So this is my first successful, or mostly successful, photo session. One big step taken in getting the camera to work, but still plenty to go on getting good looking pictures. At least it's a start. Camera settings used: Nikon Coolpix camera, macro mode, flash disabled, zoomed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment