Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Painting progress?!

Behold my progress.
Yesterday saw me pick up a brush for the first time in what felt like forever.  I got the greens done and "finished" the flesh, though I may go back for another round.  Before my long gaming hiatus painting was akin to throwing darts: sometimes I hit my target, sometimes I hit my foot.  In the past year and a half, during my triumphant return to wargaming, I've felt more comfortable with the brush.  The results I get may not be exactly what I wanted at the beginning, but I feel in control during the process.  Yesterday was more akin to the random results of old, especially in the faces.  By the end of the session I was more or less back to the new normal, but that first half hour or so was what I imagine walking a tightrope feels like.  Hopefully the cobwebs are shaken out now.

Taking a different angle on painting, my painting queue is currently unmanageable and is about to become worse.  Off the top of my head I have eIrusk, the Old Witch, Black Ivan (who needs a body as he's just the upgrade kit), and a Trollblood starter box all sitting patiently in their original packaging.  That's just PP stuff too.  Then there's all the stuff that's been assembled but not primed, primed but not painted, painted but not based, so on and so forth.  I'm rapidly approaching the sort of saturation that contributed to my previous hiatus.  To make matters worse (and better of course, who doesn't love more toys?), I just put in an order for the two player box, Bombardiers, and Aiyana & Holt, which will dump even more things to be done into my already overwhelmed queue.  Drastic action is required to keep this gaming ship afloat.

As such, I'm putting an end to all model purchases until I hit some sort of big milestone.  What that goal is has yet to be finalized.  My first thought was having all my Khador stuff painted.  Fully painted, based, and sealed, not in limbo like poor Orsus who's still waiting to have his base finished and be swathed in varnish.  I'm leaning towards having a tier force fully painted, either 35 or 50 points.  What level tier and what caster is still up for debate.  It may turn out that I don't even have the parts to make any tier list, but I'm not too concerned about that.  I'm thinking about running a tier list this Thursday in fact, so I'll find out if my plan is feasible very soon.  The point is that purchasing has once again outstripped painting, so I'm putting the brakes on hard until I get caught up some.  Hopefully nothing comes out soon that I start drooling over...

1 comment:

  1. Looking good!

    Let me tell you, there's nothing like not getting any new models to get you to get the old ones painted. I'd say to shy away from the 40k stuff for now until you start to get sick of painting Warmachine stuff, then switch over. Just hang in there! A mountain of unpainted minis isn't a reason to stop gaming, it's a reason to get painting!

    Good luck with overcoming that mountain.

    ReplyDelete