|Add another tally to the "finished" column.|
To recap the rest of the day, I laid down a first layer of flesh on the gessoed Spell Martyr. While the gesso did pull away from some of the raised details it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be, and overall it provided a good surface to paint on. It has a little more grip than my standard Duplicolor primer, but not so much as to be a problem. The extra drying time is unfortunate, though perhaps a full day isn't necessary, and it certainly takes longer to brush on than spray on, so I don't think I'll be giving up the Duplicolor any time soon. That said, I have the gesso now and it's a viable alternative for when I need to prime just part of a model or when the standard summer humidity here in the DMV kicks into overdrive.
In other game news, EV and I tried out Dust Warfare today. EV got a (surely legitimate) pdf of the book and I've watched a game or three, so by combining our powers we managed what was probably a close approximation of how the game should be played. We clipped along pretty quick for the first time with a new system, though we were playing a small (100 point) game. It felt very much like 40k with a bit of reworking, but I think the extra touches help to smooth over some of the rougher patches of grimdark. I'm always cautious about starting up in a new system, and doubly so when embroiled in a long-term project like the Journeyman league, but streamlined system + cheap models = compelling argument.