Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Grey Knights lists: the first batch

Google's version of "Grey Knight"
Having banged around the GK codex for a day now, I've come up with a basic frame and many permutations.  The basic idea is two PA squads in Rhinos, three Terminator squads, two "Psyfleman" dreads (2 twin-linked autocannons and psybolt ammo), and a Librarian.  All the squads have psycannons with psybolt ammo.  The breakdown is such:

165 - Librarian w/ 3 powers (probably Sanctuary, Might of Titan, and Quicksilver)
245 - 5 Terminators w/ Psycannon and Psybolts

245 - 5 Terminators w/ Psycannon and Psybolts
245 - 5 Terminators w/ Psycannon and Psybolts
290 - 10 Strike Squaders w/ 2 Psycannons, Daemonhammer, Psybolts
290 - 10 Strike Squaders w/ 2 Psycannons, Daemonhammer, Psybolts
135 - Dreadnaught w/ 2 twin-linked Autocannons and Psybolts
135 - Dreadnaught w/ 2 twin-linked Autocannons and Psybolts
1750



A basic hammer and anvil strategy is what I'm considering, with the Terminators and Dreads forming the anvil while the Strike Squads zoom around in their rides and add in more Psycannon shots.  This list can crank out 20 S7 AP4 Psycannon shots and 8 TL S8 AP4 Autocannon shots a turn, plus a bunch of S5 Stormbolters.  The Librarian is a support piece mostly, able to put down something that resembles Inhospitable Ground via Sanctuary in the opponent's turn, and +1S/I10 to a squad within 6" in my turn.  There's a lack of anti-armor, though the Psycannons do rend so they could pop tanks at times.  This shouldn't be much of a problem with EV running Dark Elder.  I'm not terribly familiar with the DE codex, but I hear it described as a glass cannon all the time, so I doubt I'll be seeing much AV13+.

There aren't a lot of bodies in the list, 20 PA and 16 TDA troops, but that's how elite armies work.  I've been playing with Purifiers instead of Strike Squads, but I'm not sure how the tradeoff will work.  The biggest problem is trying to break it into 250 point chunks.  At 500 I could run the two Strike Squads, without their Rhinos, but 750 becomes a bit trickier.  All that can be ironed out with some time I'm sure.

The biggest hurdle is probably the Psyflemen.  GW doesn't make TL autocannon dreadnaught arms, so I'm looking at converting them.  There are TL autocannons in the barricade terrain set, but only two sets per box so I'd need two boxes.  This wouldn't be horrible except that the barricades are $22 a pop, which on top of a $45 Dread makes for an expensive piece.  Then there's the actual converting too.  The in-game effects are compelling though, plus I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some more extensive conversions.  I'd like to do GKs as a showpiece, so spending some extra time converting isn't an issue.  I'm also thinking about getting a Stormraven, for my Blood Angels, so I can use the GK bits on the Dreads and Rhinos.  Plus I'd have a Stormraven.

Unfortunately Paladins, the two wound Terminators, look to be a bit too expensive to be feasible.  They can take a pair of Psycannons per five guys though, and they can mastercraft them to boot, so they're extra effective.  I did scrawl out a Draigo list with 16 Paladins and two Dreadknights, but that's a bit too small of a force I think.  Terminator Psycannons also come one to a box, so I'd have to get twice as many boxes to get all the cannons. 

Overall, I think I've got a decent start on a list.  Now that I have the codex in hand I can dig into the lists springing up around the interwebs and see what other people are coming up with.  I like my general idea, but there's lots of room for tweaks.  Next time, Ork lists.

5 comments:

  1. From what I've read, Psybolts really aren't worth the premium paid for them on anything less than an Assault Cannon / Autocannon. The Strength 5 bolters just don't cut it when you're paying the cost for the Psycannons as well as the Storm Bolters.

    If you're interested in having clean looking Rifleman Dreadnoughts, Forge World makes both left and right twin-linked Autocannon arms. I guess it just depends on weather you want the rounder anti-aircraft looking weapons, or to keep the angular appearance of the original kit. I haven't done the currency conversion, but I'm willing to bet each pair of Forgeworld arms will be pretty close in price. The resin arms run 7.20 pounds each.

    I can't wait to see what you're thinking on the Ork front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psybolts are a unit (or vehicle) upgrade, so you pay one price and get as much use out of it as you can. 20 points isn't bad for a full squad, especially if there are multiple psycannons, and S5 Stormbolters are nothing to sneeze at IMO. Of course if you're taking less than full squads, or not maxing psycannons, then the deal gets worse. The cannons are S7 without the ammo, so getting that extra point means I can double out orks and marines. I like it in theory at the moment, but who knows what I'll think next week or when I get actual models.

    I've seen the Forge World ones. I thought the right and left arms were in different styles, but I see there's actually two different right arms, one of which matches the left. Google currency converter says a pair of arms is ~$23, so cost is a push. I've heard bad things about Forge World resin, and I'd like to try some conversions that are more ambitious than rotating a hand at the wrist, but it's hard to argue with parts that are already made and ready to go.

    Ork post is a WIP just now, but will be done soon. On the gaming front, how does Thursday ~11 work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thursday sounds just fine for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random person here. I think i came up with a great idea for 1 squad of my grey knight army, i have plenty others but i like this the most. Librarian with quicksilver and maybe some other junk, along with Coteaz, and a henchmen squad of 8 flaggelants and 4 crusaders (to take damage) Use hammerhand and quicksilver then you will butcher any infantry or monster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't really dug into the henchmen builds yet, though I do like a lot of the concepts and models. I'd like to have an Inquisitor leading a Guard army, but that seems like something the IG codex could do better. When I get around to doing Grey Knights, I want to start with a solid core of Marines before I start looking at the more esoteric units. The Death Cult assassin models are nice enough that I might paint them just to paint them, even if they aren't in power armor.

    ReplyDelete