Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All About the Benjamins

There's been lots of news on the GW front of late, new materials and new prices.  I'm still undecided on a bile-filled rant about abusing your customers and a more moderate, everything-is-more-expensive approach.  The end result is likely to be less GW purchases, but considering I have the bulk of my two armies already this isn't much of a change.  My BA foundation is broad and solid in terms of infantry and I have more than a few vehicles, though none in great quantity beyond old Rhinos, so any additions are going to be small and specialized (hello Honor Guard/Vanguard Vets).  The orks are in much the same position.  I think I need one of the new bikers, a dread, a box of kans, and maybe some rokkit launchas to hit my 1750 list, so that's another small investment.  GKs didn't get an increase (yet), but having no non-HQ models and having yet to settle on a list means they're a possible future purchase, but not one that's just waiting it's turn in the money queue.  Of course I really should be working through my backlog and not adding new toys anyway, but we all know how well that goes in the hobby.  There's also other game systems to take into account.  These issues are a little closer to the front than usual because of the GW increase, but also because I just got my tax returns.  Considering I've painted a bunch of orks since the last time I got something new, I feel comfortable with growing some force, even if I haven't decided on which one yet.  If only Men-O-War or Iron Fang Pikemen were out in plastic so I didn't have to deal with all that metal then it'd be a harder choice, though I hear pictures of Bombardiers are in the leaked photos for Wrath so perhaps there is hope on the horizon.



On the hobby progress front, not much going on painting-wise over the last few days.  I have some assorted pieces with me that I intend to paint, but I've been intending all this time with no result.  I did find a couple new approaches to painting orks that I want to try out though, so maybe some Slugga boys or Nobs get painted today.  I dickered around with BA lists last night, looking for a way to pack in some of the stuff I like but don't really use: Death Company, Chaplains, Baals, Vindicators.  Taking the two tanks means a switch to a mech list, and this is the result:

130 - Chaplain
260 - 9 Death Company w/ Thunder Hammer & Rhino

175 - non-DC Tycho
105 - Corbulo
204 - 8 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Power Fist, Rhino

222 - 9 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Power Fist, Rhino
65 - Sanguinary Priest w/ Power Weapon


222 - 9 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Power Fist, Rhino
65 - Sanguinary Priest w/ Power Weapon

145 - Baal w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons
155 - Vindicator w/ Siege Shield

1748 total

Nothing radical here, just a Rhino rush with some armored firepower behind it.  Corbulo is in there because I had extra points at one phase, though I'll look into downgrading him to a regular SP and adding more DC gear.  I also want to see if I can get a couple smaller Razorback squads to carry the Priests around, allowing the Rhinos to carry full squads (and therefore two Meltaguns).  Tycho was another happy coincidence of extra points at one stage, though he could get Corbulo'd for a Librarian and more bodies/gear.  This isn't an optimized list and is instead based on models I have available.  I've never really looked into a full-on mech list because I like jump troops, but I'm probably pretty close to a decent list with what I have on hand.  I have a re-re-rematch with EV's Plague Marines this week and am considering changing my list for it, but I'm convinced I have the tools to win in my existing list so I want to win (or at least have a good showing) with it before I try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment