|Nearly ready for takeoff.|
When I put the jump packs on paperclips, I did so by drilling into the recess where the pack attaches to the torso. I did this because it was an area that wouldn't show on the finished model, and by drilling in a crevice the bit wouldn't skip around on me. Turns out this was a mistake. When I took the clip off the test pack, I had to give it a decent bit of elbow grease. The point where the clip meets the pack is possibly the worst possible place for so an operation as it is nigh-impossible to cut the clip flush enough for the pack to sit tight against the torso. I rubbed off a decent amount of paint, despite being careful to minimize this as much as possible, while prepping the pack to fit the marine. I ended up cutting off the nub on the torso and using the plane above said nub to glue to the opposite plane on the pack. In retrospect I should have drilled into that plane and not the hollow below, but at least I'll know that for next time. The point of this is that I want to get a coat of varnish on the packs before I take the clips out so I don't rub any paint off. I forgot about tonight's humid forecast and now am in a bit of a pickle. Hopefully the weather clears up tomorrow so I can varnish then, otherwise it'll be a tough choice on how to proceed. If not for this hiccup I think I could finish tonight, but we'll see how it goes anyway.