Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Raining Blood (Angels)

Today's post is about angry red marines falling from the sky.  I made some lists this morning to take advantage of Descent of Angels, the Blood Angel's special rule that makes them scatter d6" instead of 2d6 when deep striking.  This gives me a great excuse to link a Slayer video as reading music.




To repeat the disclaimer I've done in the past, I spend a decent bit of time reading at 3++ and I've read a post or three about this very topic which has not doubt influenced my thought process on these.  That said, these are still lists I figured up this morning, so any similarities are coincidental but not surprising.  I'm working around a core of Vanguard Veterans and a Librarian with Honor Guard.  The idea is that meltaguns drop in and pop hard targets while the Vets tie up any targets that will threaten the other squads dropping in.  The Librarian is there to provide a cover save, as usual, plus to bring in the meltagunning Honor Guard.  The rest is scoring units and boots on the table.  With the basics thus established, details.

130 - Librarian w/ Jump Pack, Shield of Sanguinius and Blood Lance
265 - Honor Guard w/ 4 Meltaguns, 3 Storm Shields
180 - 2 Sanguinary Priests w/ Jump Packs and Power Weapons

235 - 5 Vanguard Veterans w/ 3 Power Weapons and Power Fist
235 - 5 Vanguard Veterans w/ 3 Power Weapons and Power Fist

235 - Assault Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns and Power Fist
235 - Assault Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns and Power Fist
235 - Assault Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns and Power Fist
1750

The assault squads could combat squad to let me (potentially) melta seven different targets.  The Storm Shields are there to take shots for the Librarian as much as possible to cover the lack on an invulnerable save on him.  The Vets are there to kill things dead.  My concern here is that the Vets may be too good at their job and kill things in my turn instead of pinning them down.  I also wish the Honor Guard was more effective offensively as I'm not keen on having my mobile hammer tied down, though they have the shields to help them outlast otherwise deadly opponents.  Horde armies could also be a problem.

130 - Librarian w/ Jump Pack, Shield of Sanguinius and Blood Lance
205 - Honor Guard w/ 4 Meltaguns
180 - 2 Sanguinary Priests w/ Jump Packs and Power Weapons
210 - 5 Vanguard Veterans w/ Power Fist and Storm Shield
210 - 5 Vanguard Veterans w/ Power Fist and Storm Shield
210 - 5 Vanguard Veterans w/ Power Fist and Storm Shield

235 - Assault Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns and Power Fist
235 - Assault Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns and Power Fist
135 - 5 man Assault Squad w/ Meltagun and Power Fist
1750

This is the same idea with a tweak.  I traded the Vets power weapons and 5 assault marines, with a meltagun, for another unit of Vets.  I also moved the shields from the Honor Guard, who should hopefully never get shot or assaulted, to the Vets.  The shields should see more use with the Vets, and with the loss of the power weapons the Vets' job is to tie up units more than destroy them, so the extra survivability will help.

225 - Dante
130 - Librarian w/ Jump Pack, Shield of Sanguinius and Blood Lance
205 - Honor Guard w/ 4 Meltaguns

150 - 2 Sanguinary Priests w/ Jump Packs
190 - 5 Vanguard Vets w/ Power Fist
190 - 5 Vanguard Vets w/ Power Fist
240 - Sanguinary Guard w/ Chapter Banner and Power Fist
210 - Sanguinary Guard w/ Power Fist

210 - Sanguinary Guard w/ Power Fist
1750

This one is built to use Dante and his ability to never scatter while deep striking, plus using Sanguinary Guard as troops.  Dante and a Sanguinary Priest join the banner-bearing SG unit to benefit from the banner, though the Priest could go elsewhere to make a smaller footprint while landing.  I made this list as a reaction to a problem I see with the first two: a lot of deep-striking units.  With less squads, plus Dante's auto-bullseye, there should be less chance of landing a unit on something else.  There is a distinct lack of melta though, so the Vets would have to do double duty as vehicle poppers.  This one feels weak to me, despite 15 Sanguinary Guard, but I like the idea.

On the hobby side, I hope to get more painting in today.  I might try to finish the jump packs first, though I may go for the whites and purity seals on the SG instead.  I anticipate another two or three painting days in the next week, so the LPC deadline isn't as heavy as it usually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment