Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Break radio silence

Painting progress has been in short supply lately, hence the lack of posts.  What I have been doing this week is looking into Empire stuff, but more on that later.  I got the paints out yesterday and put in some more work on the Blood Angels.  The minis are getting into that perilous. almost-finished stage where I start to worry about messing up what I've done so far, but I'm attempting to forge on anyway.  I did the green and base coated the silver.



The familiar trio.
The forehead blood drops on the left guy didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but otherwise I was pleased with my work.  I redid the purity seals in green, as I saw in a to-be posted link hereish.  Despite my initial misgivings about having purity seals that aren't red I like the end result.

The purity seals pop now.
I also did the company markings.  The regular pads I simply painted on with no highlights.  The sculpted pad got a little more love.

The pics are all a bit dark, but you get the idea.
The end is in sight.  I have the black to highlight, some random details to do, them basing and they'll be finished.  I'm on the fence about highlighting the red.  It looks nice as it is, but I don't want to leave the majority of the model unhighlighted.  I'll take a look around at some examples and give it a ponder.  I also took a look at the helmets after one of EV's comments, but I think they look fine.  The pictures definitely make them look darker, which is probably because I'm using a makeshift setup.

As I mentioned at the top, I've been rooting around in Empire.  I got one of the ginormous boxed armies years ago, and added a bit on top of that.  Turns out I did a lot more work on it than I thought.  I have big blocks of spearmen, halberdiers, and handgunners along with a decent size unit of knights and greatswords, and some various characters and warmachines, all assembled and primed.  Perhaps half of the army has paint on it, in varying stages, all painted as Middenheim soldiers.  This is nice in that things are much farther along than I thought,  but unfortunate in that I was going to do an Altdorf army with a heavy Sigmar presence. I may simply paint the white bits red.  I have plenty of time to think about it.  Once I lay hands on a Fantasy rulebook I can figure out what end the pointy one is and figure out what I'll be using I can begin to speculate in earnest.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good. I can't wait to see them on the table.

    If you want to borrow my big WHFB rulebook, you can feel free at any time, but I need to hang on to my little one. Lugging the big one out and about for games is just not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to head by to pick that up. Tomorrow perhaps?

    ReplyDelete